Hawaiian stuffing is the perfect side dish to many recipes, especially for a Hawaiian Thanksgiving. Sweet bread tossed with savory Portuguese sausage and baked to perfection.
But Hawaiian stuffing is one that can’t be beat. A little sweet, a little savory, and oh so delicious. This will even have the non-stuffing fans coming back for more.
And what’s better than making homemade stuffing to share with your family and friends?
First let’s talk ingredients. . .
Hawaiian stuffing ingredients
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
- Portuguese sausage. You can use sausage in the casing or the ground sausage type.
- Unsalted butter. This will give your stuffing a rich flavor. If using salted butter, omit added salt.
- Sweet Maui onion. A subtle, yet slightly sweet flavored onion. If you can’t get your hands on one, yellow or white onions will do.
- Celery. Adds an earthy taste. Not a celery fan? You can opt to leave it out.
- Garlic. Garlic and Portuguese sausage just go so well together.
- Salt. Salt helps enhance the flavors in this dish.
- Pepper. Add a little bit of spice to the mix.
- Chicken broth. This helps create the base of this recipe and adds moisture. You can use turkey or vegetable broth as well.
- Eggs. Eggs will help bind your stuffing mix.
- Cilantro. Fresh is best, but if you can’t find any feel free to use dried cilantro.
- Sweet bread. You can make your own homemade sweet bread https://keepingitrelle.com/easy-homemade-portuguese-sweet-bread-recipe/ or pick up some from the store
How to make Hawaiian stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Set a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add Portuguese sausage to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Next add butter, onions, and celery. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the veggies have softened.
4. Add in garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
5. To a small bowl add chicken broth and egg. Whisk to combine. Pour the mixture into the sausage and vegetable mixture. Add the cilantro. Mix until well combined.
6. Add sweet bread cubes into a large bowl. Pour the sausage mixture into a bowl and mix gently until the bread has moistened.
7. Pour the stuffing mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and the top has browned.
8. Cool slightly and ENJOY!
Tips to make the best sausage stuffing
- Be sure to use dried bread. You can do this by using stale bread, leave a fresh loaf of bread out at room temperature or cube up and toast in the oven prior to making. Fresh bread will fall apart easily when mixing with the liquid.
- If using the casing type of Portuguese sausage, be sure to cut into bite sized pieces.
- Don’t skip mixing the eggs with the broth. You don’t want the eggs to scramble while mixing in with the hot vegetables.
- Mix stuffing gently so as to not crumble the bread.
Warm up stuffing in the microwave or oven. Frozen stuffing should be defrosted in the refrigerator over night and reheated thereafter.
Other great Thanksgiving recipes
- Pumpkin crunch
- Potato mac salad
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Thanksgiving leftover lumpia
- Instant Pot jook
- 12 ounces Portuguese sausage, diced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet Maui onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely minced
- 10 cups cube sweet bread
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Set a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add Portuguese sausage to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add butter, onions, and celery. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the veggies have softened.
- Add in garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- To a small bowl add chicken broth and egg. Whisk to combine. Pour the mixture into the sausage and vegetable mixture. Add the cilantro. Mix until well combined.
- Add sweet bread cubes into a large bowl. Pour the sausage mixture into a bowl and mix gently until the bread has moistened.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and the top has browned.
- Cool slightly and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 840Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 883mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 5gSugar: 26gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.