Just when you thought the Instant Pot couldn’t get any better, bring on mashed potatoes. Creamy, garlic buttery mashed potatoes made quick and easy. The perfect side dish to so many yummy dishes.
With Thanksgiving just a few days away, I thought I’d share my recipe for Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are a staple in so many homes across the nation with classic garlic mashed potatoes being my favorite.
You can serve these mashed potatoes alongside lemon caper salmon (hyperlink), shoyu chicken (hyperlink), or salsa chicken (hyperlink). It really is so versatile and can be served with so many different dishes.
With this basic recipe you can set the base for so many variations.
- Add more/less milk to change the consistency
- Use buttermilk for more tang
- Add more/less garlic as you please
- Try different herbs to enhance the flavor
- Swap out the sour cream for cream cheese or yougurt
- Make it loaded with bacon and cheddar cheese
- The possibilities are endless
Oh the good old Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot you sure ought to get yourself one. And your in luck because Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner. Making it a perfect time to get one. Amazon more than likely will have some type of sale price on those days. I have an Instant Pot Duo 6 quart, but there are so many different options now days. Take a look at their site for more options.
Here are some other great Instant Pot recipes to try
- Chicken Long Rice
- Luau stew
- Vanilla extract
- Kalua pig
- Portuguese bean soup
- Salsa chicken
- Stuffed Artichokes
What potatoes work best for mashed potatoes?
Russet potatoes are affordable and easy to find and are a great variety to use to make mashed potatoes. You can opt to leave the skin on while making the mashed potatoes if you like texture or peel them.
What do I use to mash to potatoes?
I like to use a potato masher like this one (https://amzn.to/2qOQHKF), but you can also use a hand mixer. I would not recommend using a food processor or blender as this will cause the potatoes to become very sticky.
How can I make mashed potatoes healthier?
You can swap out the sour cream for yogurt, use low fat milk, reduce the amount of butter, etc.
How to store Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
These potatoes are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 2-3 months. If you are interested in foods refrigerator life, the FDA has great chart here to refer to.
Can I freeze Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
Yes. It will keep in an airtight container or zip top bag for 2-3 months.
What do I need to make this recipe?
- sour cream
How to make Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
Place potatoes in Instant Pot. Pour in water until potatoes are complete submerged, about 4 cups. Add a pinch of salt. Close lid and set to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. Quick release.
Drain water and return potatoes to Instant Pot. Mash potatoes to desired consistency.
In a small saucepan melt butter and saute garlic until fragrant, about 7-10 minutes.
Add butter, sour cream, and milk to potatoes and stir to combine. Add more milk to thin it out to desired consistency. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt to taste
- Place potatoes in Instant Pot. Pour in water until potatoes are complete submerged, about 4 cups. Add a pinch of salt. Close lid and set to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. Quick release.
- Drain water and return potatoes to Instant Pot. Mash potatoes to desired consistency.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and saute garlic until fragrant, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add butter, sour cream, and milk to potatoes and stir to combine. Add more milk to thin it out to desired consistency. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***