Fluffy, tender, and lightly scented and flavored by coconut, Instant Pot Coconut Rice is the perfect side dish for so many different dishes. Easy to make and perfect every time. Make a batch of this rice in your Instant Pot, and it’ll be done before you know it!
Mahalo to Foodland Hawai’i for sponsoring this post. As always, thoughts and opinions are my own.
Rice can be tricky to cook! Easily overcooked and often under cooked, this is the dish for you if you struggle with making rice. Even if you’re a rice master, this easy coconut rice Instant Pot recipe is a keeper!
Subtly flavored by coconut is a game changer, we love this rice. It’s a quick and easy side dish to so many different dishes, and the flavor is mild enough that the kids love it, too.
I also love making rice in the Instant Pot because I can be cooking other dishes on the stove top – or even out on the grill – while the Instant Pot works its magic and makes perfect rice every time. In about 20 minutes, the rice is done! How easy is that? It’s the perfect set-it-and-forget-it side dish!
Don’t have an electric pressure cooker? Not to worry you can make it in a rice cooker and on the stove top as well.
Why Make Rice In The Instant Pot
There are so many reasons you should cook rice in your Instant Pot for all your rice recipes!
- It’s so easy – Add the ingredients and turn it on.
- Natural release finishes cooking the rice – And reduces the steam in your kitchen when you release the pressure!
- Easily double the recipe in the same amount of cooking time.
- It makes rice perfectly every time!
What You’ll Need To Make Instant Pot Coconut Rice
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
Just a few simple ingredients in this easy recipe
- Jasmine rice – Rinse the rice and drain it well. This will help remove the surface starch. You can use any other long grain rice or plain rice as well.
- Maika’i Organic Coconut Milk – You can find this at your local Foodland.
- Sugar – Just a bit.
- Salt – Kosher, sea salt, or whatever salt you use.
Optionally you can add fresh pineapple or lime juice.
Coconut Milk VS Coconut Cream
What’s the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream? Both are made from the same ingredients, much like milk and cream, but coconut cream has a much higher fat content and is often thickened with guar gum. For the best coconut rice recipe, use coconut milk but give the can a good shake first.
What’s The Best Rice for Coconut Rice?
I like using jasmine rice to make coconut rice. It has a mild, floral flavor and aroma that pairs nicely with coconut milk and gives you a nice fluffy rice.
This Instant Pot rice recipe is formulated for jasmine rice, but you could use other types of rice like basmati rice, long-grain white rice, or plain white rice. Be aware that cooking times and water-to-rice ratios may differ if you use a different kind of rice.
Experiment with your favorite kinds of rice to see which you like best!
How To Make Delicious Coconut Rice in the Instant Pot
- Give the coconut milk a good shake before opening it.
- Add the rinsed rice, Maika’i Organic Coconut Milk, water, sugar, and salt to the Instant Pot and mix well.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to the sealing position. Press the Rice function button and set it for 12 minutes. Stand back and let the pressure cooker work its magic!
- After the time has expired, let it release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Quick release after that and carefully open the lid.
- Fluff the rice for best results and serve!
- Optionally top with sesame seeds, sliced green onions, or cilantro.
What To Serve With Coconut Rice
This rice is a great side dish to go along with your favorite protein. Some of my favorites include:
How To Store Leftover Coconut Rice
Rice should be cooled as quickly as possible and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Plan on eating your rice within a day or two. Rice can also be frozen, especially if you have a vacuum sealer. Freeze the rice for up to a month, reheating it in a microwave-safe bowl covered with plastic in the microwave on high power.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! As long as you’re sure that your canned coconut milk is gluten-free, and most are, this rice dish is also gluten-free. It is also vegan and vegetarian.
You bet! When you use your Instant Pot for this coconut rice recipe, it is so simple! Add the ingredients, set the Instant Pot, and about 20 minutes later, you’ll be ready to eat!
Yes, you can, but that’d be a different recipe. Brown rice takes longer to cook, and this recipe and cooking times are designed for jasmine rice.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Instant Pot Pork Adobo
- Instant Pot Squid Lū’au
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
- Instant Pot Pork Guisantes
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Add the rinsed rice, Maika’i Organic Coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt to the Instant Pot. Mix until well combined.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to sealing. Press the rice button and cook for 12 minutes. Allow 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice. Serve alongside your favorite protein and ENJOY!
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it. Instagram
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.