If you’ve ever craved ribs and thought you didn’t have the time, this recipe is where it’s at. The Instant Pot has changed the pressure cooking game and is the key to this fall off the bone ribs.
What is an Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is an electric programmable pressure cooker. It can speed up cooking time by up to 70%. If you don’t have an Instant Pot in your countertop appliance collection, I would recommend you pick one up. You can get the Instant Pot here
Looking for other Instant Pot ideas? Check this recipe out.
What type of ribs do you use?
I use pork baby back ribs. These ribs are small and make the most tender ribs. You could also use spare ribs.
How to prepare ribs for cooking?
Depending on where you purchased your ribs, it still may have the membrane intact. I recommend removing this prior to cooking. Flip the ribs so the meaty side is down, then slide either your finger or a knife under the membrane, and pull back membrane to remove.
Can you use frozen ribs in this recipe?
Yes. You may have to cut the ribs into sections if cooking from frozen as it may not fit into the Instant Pot whole.
How long do you cook ribs in the Instant Pot?
A 2-3 pound rack of baby back ribs will take about 20-25 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot.
What is natural release?
If you’ve never cooked in an Instant Pot before you may wonder what all this jargon like natural release or quick release. When cooking in an Instant Pot the lid is sealed to create pressure. Once the cooking process is complete the pressure in the pot must be released. This can be done in one of two ways. Natural release means letting the pot depressurize on its own without letting the steam escape. The other way is called quick release. This happens when the steaming vent is pushed to the open position to quickly release the trapped steam and therefore depressurize the pot. Using natural release will continue the cook time as there is still some pressure in the pot.
How to make Instant Pot Ribs?
- Place apple juice and apple cider vinegar in to the Instant Pot.
- Place in saute mode.
- Remove membrane, if present, from ribs.
- Place ribs in Instant Pot.
- Close lid and place vent in steaming position.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 20-25 minutes.
- With 10 minutes remaining in the cook time, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Let the pot natural pressure release for 5 minutes then quick release.
- Place ribs on baking sheet and cover ribs with BBQ of your choice.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until BBQ sauce caramelizes.
Instant Pot Ribs
- 2-3 pounds baby back ribs
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Add apple juice and vineage to the Instant Pot and set to saute.
- Peel off the membrane from the under side of the ribs and discard.
- Place ribs in Instant Pot. You can roll up the ribs whole or cut in half to fit.
- Close the lid and close vent to sealing position.
- Cook on maual high pressure for 20-25 minutes.
- With 5-10 minutes left in your cooking process preheat oven to 400F.
- Once Instant Pot is complete allow 5 minutes natural pressure release (the clock will start counting up in time once the initial cook period is complete).
- Release steam.
- Set ribs on a baking sheet and cover with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until BBQ caramelizes.
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Love this recipe? Please give it a 5 star rating.