Tatertot casserole is a favorite comfort food dish in our house. Ground beef smothered in a blend of cream of mushroom and brown gravy topped with cheesy tatertots. Perfect easy dinner for busy families.
I mean who doesn’t love tatertots right? Crunchy pieces of potatoes shaped into bite sized pieces. And what’s even better is it’s smothered with cheese. So much yum.
The bottom layer of this wonderful dish is different than your classic tatertot casserole. I love me a good hamburger steak with brown gravy, so I decided to blend the brown gravy with the cream of mushroom and it was oh so delicious.
I love easy dinners that don’t take too much time away from my family. This recipe is really simple. Cook the hamburger, dump it in the pan, and bake. Casseroles definitely help cut down on time in the kitchen.
What is a casserole?
Casserole is actually the name of a large, deep dish that is used for cooking. Today casserole is also used to refer to the foods that are cooked in this dish.
What do I need to make a tatertot casserole?
- Avocado oil or the cooking oil of your choice.
- Ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup (https://amzn.to/2G4VICS)
- Brown gravy (https://amzn.to/365q9n5). You can make this from the packet, from scratch, or buy ready made gravy.
- Corn (https://amzn.to/367p7H2)
- Cheddar jack cheese or the cheese of your choice.
- Frozen tatertots
How long does it take to bake?
Just 30 minutes.
How to store tatertot casserole?
Once the casserole has cooled down, place in an airtight container in the fridge. This will keep for 3-4 days. You can check out the FDA for further recommendation on food storage times.
Can you freeze casseroles?
Yes! That’s one of the best things about this dish. You can double the recipe, have one for dinner tonight, and store the other pan the freezer for another busy night. You can freeze the dish in a foil pan wrapped in plastic wrap. When ready to eat defrost in the fridge the bake.
How to make tatertot casserole?
Preheat oven to 350F.
Add avocado oil to a medium sized pan over medium high heat and saute until just translucent and fragrant.
Add ground beef and continue to saute until no longer pink and cooked through or about 7-10 minutes.
Add cream of mushroom and brown gravy. Stir until well combined. Then mix in corn.
Transfer ground beef mixture to a greased 9×13 inch casserole dish. Top with cheese then layer on tatertots in a single layer.
Place in oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Cool slightly and enjoy.
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 small round onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (10.75 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup brown gravy
- 1 can (15.25 ounce) corn, drained
- 2 cups cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen tatertots
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add avocado oil to a medium sized pan over medium high heat and saute until just translucent and fragrant.
- Add ground beef and continue to saute until no longer pink and cooked through or about 7-10 minutes.
- Add cream of mushroom and brown gravy. Stir until well combined. Then mix in corn.
- Transfer ground beef mixture to a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish. Top with cheese then layer on tatertots in a single layer.
- Place in oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Cool slightly and enjoy.
* You can replace avocado oil with the cooking oil of your choice.
* You can replace ground beef with another ground meat (turkey, chicken, plant based).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***