Pumpkin bread pudding is an easy homemade dessert recipe that is both sweet and savory and it’s full of fall flavors. Just a few ingredients and you’ve got yourself a delicious treat.
Nothing screams fall more than pumpkin and baking. Warm fall spices baked into a moist bread pudding with a pumpkin twist. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it can’t be beat.
If you like bread pudding, you’ll have to try this pumpkin variety.
It’s also a great way to use up stale bread. Don’t throw it out. Repurpose it into this delicious fall dessert. Who am I kidding? This is great any time of year.
All you need is a few ingredients that you likely already have.
Pumpkin bread pudding ingredients
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amount are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
- White bread. I use a plain sandwich loaf. You can opt to use Portuguese sweet bread, brioche, or any other bread you’d like. Stale bread works perfectly fine here.
- Butter. I suggest using the unsalted variety, but if salted is all you have it will work too.
- Evaporated milk. This gives the bread pudding a creamier thicker consistency. If you don’t have evaporated milk you can replace it with regular milk.
- Milk. Whole milk will give it a richer flavor, while fat free will keep it on the lighter side. You can opt to use a milk alternative if you choose.
- Eggs. This will help create the custard component of the bread pudding.
- Brown sugar. Any variety will work here.
- Granulated sugar. I like to use a mix of brown and white here. But you can use all of one or the other or mix up the ratios if you wish.
- Pumpkin puree. Get the canned product or make your own. Just be sure to get plain pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Pumpkin pie spice. Store bought or homemade will work here
How to make pumpkin bread pudding?
1.Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
3. Layer cubed bread evenly in the baking dish and set aside.
4. In a pot heat butter, evaporated milk, and milk on medium high heat until butter is melted and mixture is heated through.
5. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until well combined.
7. Slowly temper the warm milk mixture into egg mixture by adding a little of the milk mixture at time. Stir constantly while mixing to prevent the eggs from cooking.
8. Pour the mixture over the bread.
9. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until the liquid has set. Cool slightly and enjoy. This can also be eaten at room temperature or cold.
Tips for the perfect pumpkin bread pudding recipe
- Be sure to slowly incorporate the hot milk mixture into the pumpkin mixture. This is called tempering and will prevent your eggs from cooking. No one wants scrambled eggs in their bread pudding after all.
- Try to pour the pumpkin mixture evenly over the bread. If you have pieces of bread that are not covered in the custard you can use a wooden spoon to push the bread down.
- If you prefer a more crunchy top layer you can keep some of the bread pieces from being soaked in the custard layer.
If your bread pudding is frozen, place in the refrigerator to defrost overnight. Once defrosted or if you stored it in the refrigerator, it can then be reheated in the microwave, in the oven, or in the toaster oven.
Other great pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin crunch
- Baked pumpkin donuts
- Pumpkin crinkle cookies
- Pumpkin pie smoothie
- Pumpkin pie pops
- Pumpkin butter mochi
- Pumpkin mochi waffles
- 1 loaf white bread, cubed
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 (12 ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer cubed bread evenly in the baking dish and set aside.
- In a pot heat butter, evaporated milk, and milk on medium high heat until butter is melted and mixture is heated through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Slowly temper the warm milk mixture into egg mixture by adding a little of the milk mixture at time. Stir constantly while mixing to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Pour the remainder of the mixture over the bread.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until the liquid has set. Cool slightly and enjoy. This can also be eaten at room temperature or cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.