This trail mix recipe is a simple, quick grab and go snack perfect for the busy on the go person. Customize it to your liking, make a big batch, and save some for later.
Every year we make treats for the kids to share with their friends at school. This year we decided to make Muddy Buddies trail mix. The original recipe by Chex includes peanut butter. Unfortunately, one of my son’s classmates has a peanut allergy and I did not want to leave him out.
In comes customization for the win. I swapped out the peanut butter for Nutella and made it our own. So so yummy.
Trail mix is said to date back to the early 1900s when a popular outdoorsman recommended it in his outdoor guide.
If you are looking for other kid friendly snack recipes check out my recipe for mochi, butter mochi, poi mochi, or the festive Frankenstein marshmallow pops.
What is trail mix?
Trail mix is a snack mix with a general combination of granola, nuts, dried fruits, and often chocolate.
Trail mix is so great because
- It’s light weight
- It’s easy to store
- It provides energy
- And can be customized in so many ways
What can I add to this trail mix recipe?
Anything really. I added pretzels, candy corn, and yellow, orange, and brown M&M’s to give it a fall and Thanksgiving theme. You could use popcorn, dried fruits, nuts, candies etc.
What do I need to make this recipe?
- Chex Mix
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla (Check out this recipe for homemade vanilla extract)
- Powdered sugar
- Candy corn
How to store trail mix?
Trail mix is best stored in an air tight container or zip top bag at room temperature.
How long does trail mix last?
If stored correctly, trail mix can last anywhere from 6 months to a year.
How to make this trail mix recipe?
In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate chips and butter on low for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue for 30 second intervals until mixture is smooth.
Add Nutella and vanilla. Stir to combine.
In a large bowl layer half of the Chex mix, then the chocolate mixture, and the remaining Chex mix. Stir until Chex mix is evenly coated with chocolate and transfer to a zip top bag.
Add powdered sugar to bag, seal, and shake until well coated. Spread on a baking sheet until cooled.
Add in pretzels, candy corn, and M&Ms. Toss to combine. Store in an airtight container or zip top bag.
Peanut Free Trail Mix
- 9 cups Chex Mix rice, corn, or honey combination
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1/2 cup M&M
- In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate chips and butter on low for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue for 30 second intervals until mixture is smooth.
- Add Nutella and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl layer half of the Chex mix, then the chocolate mixture, and the remaining Chex mix. Stir until Chex mix is evenly coated with chocolate and transfer to a zip top bag.
- Add powdered sugar to bag, seal, and shake until well coated. Spread on a baking sheet until cooled.
- Add in pretzels, candy corn, and M&Ms. Toss to combine. Store in an airtight container or zip top bag.
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***