Instant Pot hurricane popcorn is the perfect on the go snack. Slightly salty, buttery kernels tossed with furikake and mochi crunch. Yummy island flavors.
Hurricane popcorn is a popular snack here in Hawai’i and one of my favorite ways to eat popcorn. This can be easily made at home with the help of the Instant Pot. I mean what can’t the Instant Pot do?
If you are unfamiliar, the Instant Pot is a popular electric pressure cooker. It comes in various sizes and colors. I use this one and I have a family of 4.
If you are interested in other Instant Pot recipes please check out these recipes.
Popcorn in the Instant Pot is just another thing on the list of the many things that this countertop appliance can do. All you need is an Instant Pot and a glass top lid. This can be purchased separately or you can use a lid at home that fits snugly.
The Instant Pot is known for its pressure cooker capabilities, however this recipe for popcorn is done on saute mode. No pressure build up needed.
Did you know that popcorn is high in fiber and low in fat and calories.
What is hurricane popcorn?
Hurricane popcorn was made popular in Hawai’i by a local snack company. It contains popcorn, furikake, and mochi crunch.
What do I need to make Instant Pot hurricane popcorn?
- High smoke point oil. I like to use avocado oil. You can also use coconut oil. Be sure to refrain from using lower smoke point oils such as olive oil as it will burn easily.
- Popcorn kernels
- Melted butter
- Furikake: dried Japanese seasoning. I like to use the blend of nori and sesame seeds.
- Mochi crunch: Japanese rice cracker. Also known as kaki mochi or arare. What do you call this snack?
Tips for making the best Instant Pot hurricane popcorn:
- Be sure to use fresh kernels. Old dried out kernels will not pop.
- Be sure to use a high smoke point oil as mentioned above.
- Be sure to stir the kernels in the oil well, being sure that all kernels are coated.
How to store hurricane popcorn?
If there is any left over popcorn I suggest storing in an airtight container or zip top bag at room temperature.
How long does hurricane popcorn last?
After making a fresh batch and storing in an airtight container this popcorn will last 1-2 weeks.
How to make Instant Pot hurricane popcorn?
Set Instant Pot to saute mode on the more heat setting. Allow to continue to heat until the Instant Pot reads HOT.
Once hot add avocado oil and popcorn kernels. Stir kernels until well coated with oil. Place glass lid on the Instant Pot and allow kernels to pop.
Continue cooking until popping slows to 10 seconds between popping. Using heat resistant mitts remove inner pot from the Instant Pot.
Remove lid. Add salt and pour melted butter over popcorn. Replace lid and gently toss to coat.
Remove lid and add furikake and mochi crunch. Toss to combine.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon furikake
- 1 cup mochi crunch
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode on the more heat setting. Allow to continue to heat until the Instant Pot reads HOT.
- Once hot add avocado oil and popcorn kernels. Stir kernels until well coated with oil. Place glass lid on the Instant Pot and allow kernels to pop.
- Continue cooking until popping slows to 10 seconds between popping. Using heat resistant mitts remove inner pot from the Instant Pot.
- Remove lid. Add salt and pour melted butter over popcorn. Replace lid and gently toss to coat.
- Remove lid and add furikake and mochi crunch. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
* You can replace avocado oil with the oil of your choice. Be sure to use a high smoke point oil (like coconut oil).
*Avoid using lower smoke point oils like olive and corn oil as it will burn quickly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Kernels, Original Yellow, 30 oz
Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 8.4 oz., Non-GMO, for High-Heat Cooking, Frying, Baking, Homemade Sauces, Dressings and Marinades
Enjoy Mix Arare 8 Oz
Nori Fume Furikake Rice Seasoning - 1.7 oz
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***