An immunity boosting smoothie is a great way to pack in vitamin and minerals to help keep you healthy. This vibrant green treat will get even your picky eaters to slurp down their veggies.
By day I work as an advanced practice nurse practitioner here in Hawai’i. As a health care provider it is important for myself and my family to keep our immune systems up.
And now more than ever, with the recent health concerns world wide, I want to be sure to fill our bodies up with healthy and nutritious foods.
What is your immune system?
First let’s talk about your immune system. Your immune system is what helps defend your body against possible diseases. Without a good immune system you are not able to fend off infections.
What helps keep your immune system working well?
Things that help your immune system include: a healthy, well-balanced diet, hydration, regular exercise, and adequate amounts of sleep.
Things that boost your immune system
- Vitamin C is found in foods. It helps in the process of making collagen, which helps in wound healing. It is also a great antioxidant and helps improve the absorption of iron. You can read more about vitamin C here.
- VItamin E is overlooked when thinking about immunity boosting. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps free radicals from damaging our bodies. You can read more about vitamin E here.
- Probiotics can help decrease the severity of colds.
One of the easiest and quickest ways to pack in that immunity boosting punch is with the foods that we eat. My favorite way to do this is blended in a smoothie.
What do I need to make an immunity boosting smoothie?
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- 3 tablespoons yogurt: rich in vitamin D and the live cultures can stimulate your immune system. Check out my homemade yogurt recipe here.
- 1 tablespoon honey: rich in antioxidants
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen: antioxidant and decreases inflammation.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract: Try my homemade vanilla extract recipe out.
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric: anti-inflammatory component and can also help repair muscles.
- pinch of black pepper: high in antioxidants and decreases inflammation. Also helps the absorption of tumeric.
- 1 cup baby spinach: rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, and beta carotene.
- 1 tablespoon almond butter: rich in vitamin E.
- 1/2 cup almond milk: rich in vitamin E.
Here are some of my favorite blenders:
- Ninja: This is the blender I currently use. This is an affordable option and blends well.
- NutriBullet: I have also used the NutriBullet in the past. This is another affordable option.
- Vitamix: If you feel like you want to splurge a little more, the Vitamix is an excellent blender choice.
How to make an immunity boosting smoothie?
Add all ingredients to a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Immunity Boosting Smoothie
- 1 medium banana frozen
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***