Flavorful homemade ragu sauce smothered over al dente spaghetti noodles is what’s for dinner. Serve with a side of crunchy garlic bread makes this recipe a favorite among the young and the young at heart.
Spaghetti is a classic dinner in many households and my house is no different. At least once a week my kids will ask for spaghetti. If you ask my son what his favorite dinner is, hands down spaghetti is the winner.
Here’s another noodle dinner recipe.
What is spaghetti?
Spaghetti is a solid, thin, long, cylinder shaped pasta that is a staple food in traditional Italian cuisine.
How do you cook spaghetti noodles?
Spaghetti can be found fresh or more frequently at the grocery stores dried. The dried pasta takes about 8-12 minutes to cook in salted, boiling water.
How much water do you need to cook the pasta?
About 4-6 quarts.
What kind of sauces can you use on?
- Classic marinara
- Ragu (marinara with meat)
- Brown butter
What type of meat can you use in ragu sauce?
My go to choice of meat to use in ragu sauce is ground beef. If you want a healthier version you can use ground turkey. I’ll often swap out the ground turkey and what’s even better my kids can’t tell the difference. Like a little spice? Try Italian sausage.
What goes well with spaghetti?
When using classic marinara sauce you can’t go wrong with meatballs. And of course you can’t forget the garlic bread. A good old tossed salad also would work. Can’t decide on one, just have them all.
How to make homestyle spaghetti?
Place large pot of salted water over high heat and heat until a rolling boil. Add your favorite spaghetti. Cook per package instructions (generally boiling 8-12 minutes) or until al dente. Strain noodles and set aside. Add avocado oil (or oil of choice) to saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until browned, about 8 minutes. Add your favorite jar of marinara sauce. Saute until heated through.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 box spaghetti noddles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 small round onion, diced
- 28 ounces ragu style sauce
- Place large pot of salted water over high heat and heat until a rolling boil.
- Add your favorite spaghetti. Cook per package instructions (generally boiling 8-12 minutes) or until al dente.
- Strain noodles and set aside.
- Add avocado oil (or oil of choice) to saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add your favorite jar of marinara sauce. Saute until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1217mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 24g
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Love this recipe? Please give it a 5 star rating.