There are few things tastier than baked Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders. Loaded with ham, two kinds of cheese, and pineapple, these delicious sliders are the hit of any party. They’re also easy to make and can be had on the table in no time!
Made on Kings Hawaiian sweet bread, these tasty sliders are a quick and easy fix, and it all starts with this sweet bread. Native to Hawai’i, Kings Hawaiian has been delighting people for decades with their amazing Hawaiian rolls. It’s light, fluffy, and slightly sweet, and it’s the perfect choice for these Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders.
It’s a combination of authentic, soft Hawaiian bread and juicy pineapple that makes these Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Sliders something special. Made with kid-friendly ingredients but with plenty of adult appeal, I serve these ham and cheese sliders on game day, at family events, or whenever we’re craving something casual but still delicious.
Pineapple and Kings Hawaiian Go Hand-In-Hand
Hawaiian sweet rolls were popularized by Kings Hawaiian, a bakery that started in Hilo, Hawai’i, in the late 1950s. Pineapples are also a considerable part of the Hawaiian culture, and the pineapple plantations brought many ethnic groups to Hawai’i and with them came their cuisines. Today, Hawaiian cuisine has its own identity but is very much influenced by the flavors of the globe.
When you pair these amazing sweet slider buns with pineapple, you get a Hawaiian rolls slider recipe that’s distinctly Hawaiian and delicious.
What You Need To Make Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Sliders
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
- Nonstick cooking spray. You don’t want anything sticking after all.
- Hawaiian sweet rolls. You can find this at most grocery stores in the bread aisle. If you can’t find Hawaiian sweet bread you can use another sweet bread and if all else fails dinner rolls will suffice too. If you want to be adventurous you can make you own Portuguese sweet bread that is a great alternative
- Mayonnaise. This is a great addition to keep your sliders moist and flavorful.
- Deli-sliced ham. I love honey glazed or Black Forest ham for this recipe, but your favorite unflavored thinly sliced ham will work (now’s not the time to use Tuscan ham or other flavored deli hams).
- Cheddar cheese. I prefer sharp cheddar, but use what you have.
- Swiss cheese. The deli will slice these for you or you can get the precut option.
- Pineapple rings. Be sure to drain them well. Save the juice for your drinks or an addition to sauces.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted butter will work here.
- Italian seasoning. You can swap this out for some poppy seeds if you’d like.
How To Make Ham & Swiss Sliders
This is an easy recipe, and you can have it ready to go into the oven in under 20 minutes!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Open the package of Hawaiian sweet rolls and cut them in half horizontally. Place the bottom half of the rolls in the prepared baking dish.
- Spread the mayonnaise over the bottom half of the rolls. Next, layer half of the deli ham over the bread, followed by the cheddar cheese, the remainder of the ham, the swiss cheese, and then finish with the pineapple rings. Place the top half of the buns back on the sandwich.
- To a small bowl, add butter and Italian seasoning. Mix to combine—reserve 2 tablespoons of the melted butter mixture. Pour the remainder of the mixture over the top of the bread.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the foil and brush with the reserved butter mixture. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread is lightly browned.
- Once the hot ham and cheese sliders have finished baking, remove them from the pan and cut them into 12 sliders and enjoy!
Tips To Make Delicious Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Take the bread out of the package without pulling the rolls apart from each other. Lay them on the counter and slice through the whole set of 12 rolls horizontally with a large serrated knife. This makes it easy to layer them with the ham, cheese, and pineapple if they’re one giant roll and not individual sliders.
- After they’re hot and gooey, take a sharp knife and cut between the sliders to pull them apart.
- Drain the pineapple rings well – You can place them onto paper towels to absorb the excess moisture.
How To Store Your Hawaiian Roll Ham Sliders?
Refrigerate any leftover sliders in the fridge for a day or two. Tightly wrap them in plastic wrap or put them in an airtight container. Warm them in the oven or toaster oven to reheat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! You have a few choices – add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to the butter and Italian seasoning, or turn up the flavor by adding a finely minced clove of garlic to the mixture.
Yes! I would prepare them as directed in the recipe, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and store them in the fridge until ready to bake. I’d add an extra minute or two of baking time or let the sliders warm up on the counter for a few minutes before baking.
Yes, they sure are! If you get the ham and cheeses already sliced, all you need to do is spread on the mayo, load in the fillings, and then butter the top of the sliders. That’s it!
These sliders are freezer friendly and work great for meal prep. You can freeze these before or after you bake them. Allow to cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap (or your plastic wrap alternative), and place in a zip top bag or airtight container. These will keep for up to 6 months. Place in the refrigerator overnight to defrost and reheat in the oven to bring back the toastiness. You can also reheat in the microwave.
Other great lunch ideas
- 1 package Hawaiian sweet rolls (12 count)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound deli sliced ham
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple rings
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the Hawaiian sweet rolls in half horizontally. Place the bottom half of the rolls in a greased 8x13 baking dish.
- Spread mayonnaise over the bottom half of the rolls. Next layer half of the deli ham over the bread, followed by the cheddar cheese, the remainder of the ham, the swiss cheese, and top with the pineapple rings. Place the top half of the buns back on the sandwich.
- To a small bowl add butter and Italian seasoning. Mix to combine. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Pour the remainder of the mixture over the top of the bread.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the foil and brush with the reserved butter mixture. Return pan to the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Once sandwiches have finished baking, remove from pan and cut into 12 sliders and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 559mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.