Haole brownies aka blonde brownies are a favorite in our house. Simple yet deliciously chewy vanilla and brown sugar flavored brownie perfect for switching things up from your classic chocolate brownie.
Haole brownies were made popular by Kamehameha Schools. It is the islands take on blonde brownies.
The term haole in Hawaiian means no breath of life. In the ancient days native Hawaiians would greet each other by touching noses and exchanging a breath, the breath of life.
When the foreigners came to Hawai’i the natives noticed that these people did not exchange the breath of life, thus calling them haole (ha: breath of life, ole: none). Today the term simply means foreigner.
The foreigners that came to the islands often had fair colored skin, just like these brownies. A much lighter color that your classic brownie as it lacks coco.
What do I need to make haole brownies?
What else can I add in to haole brownies?
The options are endless. You can add chocolate chips, M&Ms, sprinkles, nuts, etc. Really whatever your heart desires.
How to store haole brownies?
Haole brownies are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. This will keep for about 4-5 days.
Can you freeze haole brownies?
You sure can. You can place the whole pan wrapped well in plastic wrap in the freezer. Allow to thaw before serving. You can zap it in the microwave once thawed to warm it up slightly.
Tips on making the best haole brownies:
- Be sure not to over beat the batter. Doing so will produce tough brownies.
- You can substitute dark brown sugar for the light brown sugar in this recipe if you would like. This will produce a richer, sweeter brownie.
- Allow brownie to cool just slightly before cutting. You can spray the knife with non-stick cooking spray to help it glide through the brownies smoothly.
- Make this ala mode with a nice scoop of the ice cream flavor of your choice.
How to make haole brownies?
Preheat oven to 375F.
In the bowl of a stand mixer combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, salt. With the paddle attachment mix until well combined, light and fluffy.
Then to the bowl add flour and baking powder. Stir until just incorporated.
Add eggs to the bowl and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
Pour batter in a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool and enjoy!
Haole Brownies (Blonde Brownies)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, salt. With the paddle attachment mix until well combined, light and fluffy.
- Then to the bowl add flour and baking powder. Stir until just incorporated.
- Add eggs to the bowl and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour batter in a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***