Easy, four ingredient shortbread cookies that even your kids can make. Buttery, crispy, and so yummy. Makes for a great cookie box addition to give as a gift or a quick snack to keep for yourself.
Day 10 of the 12 Days of Cookies.
If you missed days 1-8 see below
- Day 1: Easy chocolate chip cookies
- Day 2: Soft oatmeal cookies
- Day 3: Macadamia nut snowball cookies
- Day 4: Lilikoi butter thumbprint cookies
- Day 5: Brownie mix cookies
- Day 6: Cheesecake Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Day 7: Ube Crinkle Cookies
- Day 8: White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Day 9: Red velvet cookies
Shortbread cookies remind me of the holidays. My family and I enjoy making these cookies to give to family and friends.
Here simplicity is key. You don’t need any fancy ingredients or tools to make this. All you need is
- Butter: I like to use unsalted butter, but if you like a saltier cookie feel free to use salted butter.
- Flour: All purpose flour works well for this recipe. It is best measured using the scoop and fill method. Scoop flour with a spoon into a measuring cup and level with a knife or other flat surface.
- Sugar: Super fine granulated sugar works best in this recipe. If you can not find extra fine sugar, you can run the granulated sugar through the food process to create sugar that is more fine and gives you a smoother dough.
- Vanilla extract: You can use store bought or I have a simple recipe for homemade vanilla extract made in the Instant Pot.
What are shortbread cookies?
Shortbread is a traditional biscuit from Scotland. It is generally made of one part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour.
What other add-ins can I use?
My favorite add-ins are macadamia nuts and chocolate. You can add any nut, dried fruit, dip/drizzle in chocolate.
How long does it take to make easy shortbread cookies?
Low and slow, 275F for one hour.
How to store shortbread cookies?
Shortbread cookies are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze shortbread dough?
Yes. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap (or the plastic free wrap of your choice) and place in a zip top bag. This will keep for up to 6 months. When ready to bake allow to defrost to room temperature prior to baking.
How to make easy shortbread cookies?
Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and sugar. Whip until light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
Slowly add flour and mix until just incorporated. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
Pour dough into prepared baking pan. Spread dough to fill the pan in an even layer. Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 275F.
Cut dough into rectangles. Use a fork to poke shallow indentations in the dough. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
Transfer a wire sheet cool.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup super fine granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cup all purpose flour, sifted
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and sugar. Whip until light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
- Slowly add flour and mix until just incorporated. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour dough into prepared baking pan. Spread dough to fill the pan in an even layer. Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Cut dough into rectangles. Use a fork to poke shallow indentations in the dough. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Transfer a wire sheet cool.
*Cookie dough can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month. Ensure dough is tightly wrapped in plastic wrap (or the plastic free wrap of your choice).
*For best results be sure to chill dough prior to baking.
*If you are unable to find fine granulated sugar, you can run regular granulated sugar through a food processor to create a finer texture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***