Christmas monster cookies are soft chewy cookies filled with yummy flavors and festive colors. An easy recipe that does not require your dough to be chilled. The perfect addition to you holiday cookies.
Mahalo to Foodland Hawai’i for sponsoring this post. As always, thoughts and opinions are my own.
Soft chewy cookies with crispy edges. Dunk them in milk and I bet you can’t have just one.
The best thing about these cookies
- No dough chilling time
- Bake them for a shorter time for soft and chewy cookies or a longer time for more crispy cookies
- Swap out the mix ins for anything you’d like
- It’s quick and easy and uses ingredients you likely already have at home
What are monster cookies?
What’s in monster cookies?
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
- Oats. Be sure to use quick oats vs old fashion oats. These are rolled thinner and steamed longer allowing it to be cookies quicker.
- Baking soda. This allows the cookies to rise.
- Salt. Salt is a flavor enhancer and strengthens the protein bond.
- Brown sugar. I like to use a mix of brown and white sugar. Brown sugar gives the cookies a molasses flavor.
- Granulated sugar. Interestingly enough, white sugar adds more browning to cookies by caramelizing and also creates more crispiness by absorbing some of the moisture in the dough.
- Unsalted butter. If you only have salted butter, omit added salt.
- Eggs. Using room temperature eggs will help ingredients combine together better
- Vanilla. Make homemade vanilla extract https://keepingitrelle.com/instant-pot-vanilla-extract/ or pick it up from the store
- M&Ms. Make these festive for Christmas by using red and green. You can find these sold on their own or you can buy a regular bag of M&Ms and pick out the red and green ones.
- Maika’i Belgian Milk Chocolate Bar. This can be found in the candy aisle at your local Foodland.
How to make monster cookies?
- Preheat your oven and prepare your baking sheets
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Then add the wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add the mix-ins.
- Using a cookie scoop, shape cookies and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake, cool, and ENJOY!
Tips for the best monster cookies
- Use room temperature ingredients. This allows all the ingredients to be well combined.
- Use quick oats. These are smaller pieces of oats that cook quicker and give a more uniform textured cookie.
- Don’t over mix the dough. This will create tough cookies.
Christmas Monster Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter. Mix until well combined.
- Next add eggs and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix just until combined. The add in M&Ms and Maika’i Belgian Milk Chocolate Bar and mix until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out about 3 tablespoons of dough and place on the baking sheet. Be sure to leave about one inch between each cookie to allow the cookies space to rise, about 12 large cookies per baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. With 5 minutes left you can add a few M&Ms on top of the cookies to give it a pop of color.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool and ENJOY.