Chocolate sugar cookies have a soft, chewy center, crispy edges, and taste amazing with a cold glass of milk. This twist on the classic sugar cookie is something you have to try.
Day 11 of the 12 Days of Cookies: Chocolate sugar cookies.
If you missed days 1-10 see below
- Day 1: Easy chocolate chip cookies
- Day 2: Soft oatmeal cookies
- Day 3: Macadamia nut snowball cookies
- Day 4: Lilikoi butter thumbprint cookies
- Day 5: Brownie mix cookies
- Day 6: Cheesecake Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Day 7: Ube Crinkle Cookies
- Day 8: White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Day 9: Red velvet cookies
- Day 10: Easy shortbread cookies
This simple recipe creates a great dough for roll and cut type cookies. Quickly create cookies of any shape you can imagine. Great for the holidays, theme parties, or just because it’s Wednesday.
What do I need to make chocolate sugar cookies?
- All purpose flour: best to measure flour using the scoop and measure method. Spoon flour into a measuring cup and level with a flat surface.
- Cocoa powder: Be sure to get the unsweetened type.
- Cornstarch: This secret ingredient will help stabilize the cookie and prevent over spreading.
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter: Best to use unsalted butter as you can control the amount of sugar in this recipe. Each brand of unsalted butter puts a different amount of salt, making it difficult to get consistent results.
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar: You can opt for dark brown sugar here if you like a deeper flavor
- Vanilla extract: Try my homemade vanilla extract recipe made in the instant Pot.
Can I make this dough in advance?
You sure can. Cover dough tightly in plastic wrap. This will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for about 3 months. When you are ready to use the dough allow to defrost to room temperature prior to baking.
What kinds of add ons can I use for chocolate sugar cookies?
You can drizzle the cookies with icing, dip in white chocolate, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
How to store chocolate sugar cookies?
These cookies are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. This will keep for about 5 days.
How to make chocolate sugar cookies?
In a medium sized mixing bowl add flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt, Whisk to combine. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and sugars. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
Slow add ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
Roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/4 inch thickness. Chill dough in freezer for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Using a cookie cutter cut dough into desired shapes and place on the parchment paper lined baking sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt, Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and sugars. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Slow add ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/4 inch thickness. Chill dough in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a cookie cutter cut dough in to desired shapes and place on he parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
© Relle Lum for Keeping It Relle. Please do not copy and paste or screenshot recipes online or on social media. I’d love it if you share a link with a photo instead. Mahalo!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.
Tried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.
Pin for later.
***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases***