Ooey gooey cheese sauce over al dente macaroni noodles sprinkled with a crunchy buttery topping. This ain’t your blue box mac and cheese. Kid friendly family favorite. This baked mac and cheese will satisfy your comfort food cravings.
What kid, shoot and even adult, does not like mac and cheese? This is the ultimate comfort food. With so much versatility you can not go wrong.
Looking for other comfort foods?
Check this recipe out.
What types of cheese can I use in baked mac and cheese?
ANY, but some favorites are
- Colby jack
Want a heartier meal?
Want a spicier version?
Add Tex-Mex seasonings or jalapenos.
There’s no right or wrong way about it. Feel free to change things up as you please.
This dish starts with al dente pasta. Be sure not to over-cook the noodles as it will continue to cook while baking. You can keep it original and use macaroni noodles or try something different with shells, farfalle, rotini. Then a homemade creamy cheese sauce is blended in and topped with a buttery, crunchy crust.
- elbow macaroni
- avocado oil (or the oil of your choice)
- unsalted butter
- all purpose flour
- heavy whipping cream
- Gruyere cheese ( you can substitute with brie)
- cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
Looking for a good dish to bake your mac and cheese in? Check out this one.
How to make baked mac and cheese?
How long can mac and cheese stay in the fridge?
3-5 days in an air tight container.
- 8oz elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 1/2 teaspoon avocado oil (or the oil of your choice)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, separated
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese ( you can substitute with brie)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Pre heat oven to 350F.
- For the pasta: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add macaroni and cook al dente, about 1 minute less than box directions.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Toss to coat with avocado oil and cool.
- Combine cheese in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine panko, 2 tablesspoons melted butter, paprika, and Parmesan cheese.
- Melt remaining butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat..
- Whisk in flour until combined.
- Add cream and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Mix in 2 cups of the shredded cheese blend in 1 cup increments.
- Add to pasta and stir until coated.
- Pour half of the noodles in to a greased baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese blend.
- Add remaining half of noodles.
- Top with panko blend and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 879mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
Tried the recipe? Tag us on social.
Love this recipe? Please give it a 5 star.